Love this book. I was skeptical coming in with the title and cover, figuring it was going to be an unfounded, the government has aliens and is hiding them, working with them, etc. Instead I found a grounded, fact based, analysis of different hidden bases around the globe. Some speculation here and there, but the author also goes into showing you how some of these myths spread.
Chapter 5, which deals with the nonsense around the Dulce base in New Mexico starts by created a narrative based on all the stuff you can find online about what is going on there. Judging by the amazon reviews, a few people stopped there not realizing the narrative was not serious. I admit, it threw me for a moment, but he then goes on to tell you exactly how all this came about and possibly why. He looks around the world at all the very strange locales that you can find military bases in. At no point does Mack seriously suggest that aliens are among us, or that these bases are hiding such things. He goes by the facts, through and through. He shows the process of myth making and disinformation. It's a fascinating read.
It's also a quick, enjoyable read. Another one that I found hard to put down. There were a bunch of things in this book I was not familiar with, and that is always a nice surprise. At almost 300 pages, it goes by way too fast. If you are looking for conspiracies and aliens, this is not for you. It does however. deal with some very unusual UFO reports, and some of it is very, very strange. If you want someone who follows and reports the facts, pick this one up!
Mack's Website: http://mackmaloney.wordpress.com/
- Asking the Wrong Questions… UFO’s and Beliefs
- Deliberate Deception by Peter Robbins
- Consciousness, Speculation, and Seeing the Un-see-able
- Mack Maloney on Beyond Area 51 - May 31, 2014
- The Chaos Conundrum by Aaron John Gulyas (2013)
- Mountain of the Dead: The Dyatlov Pass Incident by Keith McCloskey (2013)
- The Ghost Rockets: Mystery Missiles and Phantom Projectiles in our Skies by Micah Hanks (2013)
- LightQuest: Your Guide to Seeing and Interacting with UFOs, Mystery Lights and Plasma Intelligences by Andrew Collins (2012)
- Missing 411: Eastern US, Western US, and North America and Beyond by David Paulides (2011 and 2012)
- Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind by Graham Hancock (2006)
- DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor's Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences by Rick Strassman M.D. (2000)
- Alien Energy: UFO's, Ritual Landscapes, and the Human Mind by Andrew Collins (1994)
- Communion by Whitley Strieber (1987)